EdSource is tracking several higher education bills that were introduced this year in the California Legislature. The bills would address a range of issues that impact transition age youth, including financial aid, student debt, homelessness and access to college for undocumented students.
Use this tracker, which will be updated, to stay informed on each of these pieces of legislation:
- Community college financial aid reform (SB 291)
- Cal Grant reform (AB 1314)
- Cal Grants for incarcerated students (SB 575)
- Cal Grants for students attending private universities (AB 1307)
- California College Promise expansion (AB 2)
- Loan forgiveness program (AB 140)
- Pilot income share agreement (AB 154)
- Parking for homeless students (AB 302)
- Housing and hunger hardship fund (SB 278)
- Foster Youth Meal Plan Program (AB 1229)
- Chafee grant eligibility (SB 150)
- Undocumented students and immigrants / Apprenticeship and internship programs (AB 595)
- Dreamer Resource Liaisons (AB 1645)
- Financial aid for asylum seekers (SB 296)
- Mental Health Program (AB 1689)
How we can help...
Check out LifePrep Academy's educational resources for juvenile justice and other transition age youth. This guide is designed to connect busy academic counselors to resources and support services while providing opportunities to connect with their students in meaningful ways.